Four new Covid cases in the BOP
There are four new cases of Covid-19 to report in the Bay of Plenty today.
The Ministry of Health says all of the cases are in Tauranga and all are linked to previously reported cases.
"All are isolating at home or in managed isolation."
The Ministry is also reporting four new cases in Rotorua today.
"One case is a close contact of a previously reported case, and three are still being investigated for links to previously reported cases.
"All cases are isolating at home or in managed accommodation."
Today, there are a total of 28 new community cases in New Zealand.
Sadly, the MOH is reporting the deaths of two people today.
"A man in his 30s, who sadly died at home on January 5, was tested for Covid-19 post-death and returned a positive result," says a spokesperson for the Ministry.
"In addition, a man is his 60s sadly died with Covid-19 at Middlemore Hospital on Sunday.
"Our thoughts are with their whānau and friends at this deeply sad time.
"Out of respect for both families, no further details will be released and we will be making no further comment at this time."
See below for a full breakdown of today's numbers:
COVID-19 vaccine update
• Vaccines administered to date (percentage of eligible people): 3,983,660 first doses (95%); 3,882,793 second doses (92%); 33,385 third primary doses; 594,947 booster doses
• Vaccines administered yesterday: 1,495 first doses; 3,812 second doses; 646 third primary doses and 45,984 booster doses.
• Māori (percentage of eligible people): 504,183 first doses (88%); 470,807 second doses (82%).
• Pacific Peoples (percentage of eligible people): 273,091 first doses (95%); 263,029 second doses (92%).
Vaccination rates by DHB with active cases (percentage of eligible people)
• Northland DHB: First doses (89%); second doses (85%)
• Auckland Metro DHBs: First doses (96%); second doses (94%)
• Waikato DHB: First doses (94%); second doses (91%)
• Bay of Plenty DHB: First doses (94%); second doses (91%)
• Lakes DHB: First doses (92%); second doses (89%)
• Taranaki DHB: First doses (94%); second doses (91%)
• Tairāwhiti DHB: First doses (92%); second doses (87%)
• Hawke’s Bay DHB: First doses (95%); second doses (92%)
• Canterbury DHB: First doses (98%); second doses (96%)
• Capital and Coast DHB: First doses (98%); second doses (96%)
• Hutt Valley DHB: First doses (96%); second doses (94%)
• Cases in hospital: 31; North Shore: 2; Auckland: 11; Middlemore: 13; Tauranga: 4; Waikato 1
• Vaccination status of current hospitalisations (Northern Region wards only): Unvaccinated or not eligible (8 cases / 32%); partially immunised
• Average age of current hospitalisations: 56
• Cases in ICU or HDU: 2; Middlemore: 1; Tauranga: 1
• Seven day rolling average of community cases: 29
• Seven day rolling average of border cases: 33
• Number of new community cases: 28
• Number of new cases identified at the border: 65
• Location of new community cases: Auckland (17), Waikato (1), Bay of Plenty (4), Lakes (4), Christchurch* (1), South Canterbury (1)
• Number of community cases (total): 11,210 (in current community outbreak)
• Cases epidemiologically linked (total): 8,466
• Number of active cases (total): 678 (cases identified in the past 21 days and not yet classified as recovered)
• Confirmed cases (total): 14,473
• Number of active contacts being managed (total): 4,832
• Percentage who have received an outbound call from contact tracers (to confirm testing and isolation requirements): 81%
• Percentage who have returned at least one result: 81%
• Number of tests total (last 24 hours): 19,712
• Tests rolling average (last 7 days): 14,532
• Auckland tests total (last 24 hours): 9,282
• There were no unexpected wastewater detections.
NZ COVID Tracer
• Poster scans in the 24 hours to midday yesterday: 2,388,972
• Manual diary entries in the 24 hours to midday: 42,294
My Vaccine Pass
• My vaccine pass downloads total: 4,742,266
• My vaccine pass downloads (last 24 hours): 15,466
The Ministry is continuing to ask anyone in New Zealand with symptoms – no matter how mild – to get tested, even if you’re vaccinated.
"Please stay at home until you return a negative test result.
"We are also asking people to regularly check the locations of interest as these are regularly updated and to follow the advice provided."
Testing and vaccination centre locations nationwide can be found on the Healthpoint website.
Please also continue to check for any updated Locations of Interest and appropriate health advice, updated regularly on the Ministry’s website.
There are 17 cases to report in Auckland today.
Health and welfare providers are now supporting 888 people in the region to isolate at home, including 185 cases.
There is one new case in the Waikato today. The case is in Atiamuri and is being managed by Toi Te Ora Public Health.
Pop-up testing sites are operating in Whangamatā, Te Kūiti, Taumarunui, Tokoroa, Ōtorohanga, Putāruru, Huntly and Hamilton today.
Testing is available at general practices in Waihi, Whangamatā, Whitianga and Te Awamutu by appointment. For details of all dedicated testing sites including other general practices, please visit Healthpoint, Waikato DHB or check the pinned post on our Facebook page.
Public Health staff in the region, primary care and manaaki providers are supporting 29 cases to isolate at home.
Bay of Plenty
There are four cases to report in Tauranga today, all of which are close contacts of previously reported cases.
All cases are isolating at home or in managed accommodation.
There are four cases to report in Rotorua today.
One case is a close contact of a previously reported case, and three are still being investigated for links to previously reported cases.
All cases are isolating at home or in managed accommodation.
There is a total of four community cases in Canterbury and one in South Canterbury, including the two announced yesterday.
This total of five includes three new cases being announced today, two are close contacts of previously reported case and one remains under investigation.
Three of these five cases will be formally added to the case numbers tomorrow.
Investigations are continuing but it’s expected there will be new locations of interest around Christchurch. Please check the locations of interest page, which is regularly updated.