SunLive         

BOP housing fire deemed accidental

The blaze gutted the Rotorua motel, which was being used to house Ministry of Social Development clients at the time. Photo: Benn Bathgate/Stuff.

A fire which gutted a Rotorua motel in December is being ruled as accidental.

A Fire and Emergency New Zealand spokesperson says there was “nothing suspicious” about the fire that gutted a Rotorua motel housing 11 Ministry of Social Development clients on December 30.

The motel, on Rotorua’s Fenton St, went up in flames causing police to block large parts of the road while Fire & Emergency staff battled the blaze.

In a statement to Stuff, a Fire & Emergency spokesperson says “the Golden Glow Motel fire has been classed as accidental”.

“An exact cause was not able to be determined but there was no evidence to suggest the fire was suspicious.”

On the day of the blaze, Fire and emergency shift manager Josh Pennefather​ told Stuff they were contacted at around 11.20am with “reports of a building on fire”.

MSD regional commissioner Mike Bryant also told Stuff they had 11 clients residing at the motel, and that all would be relocated to alternative accommodation.

“Everyone who needs it has somewhere to stay tonight,” he said at the time.

“We will work with those affected to ensure appropriate alternate accommodation is provided. If required we will also connect them to a provider that can provide further wrap-around support.”

-Stuff/Benn Bathgate.

More on SunLive...
0 Comments
You must be logged in to make a comment. Login Now
There are no comments on this article.