Summer Haze concert goers to descend on Tauranga
Festival goers are preparing for an afternoon music as they head along to the Summer Haze concert at Tauranga's Wharepai Domain.
Fresh from their headlining RITUALS album tour of Aotearoa, live, electronic, five-piece, party-starters Shapeshifter have announced a new Tauranga Festival Summer Haze.
The group have bought in the iconic and one of the world's finest live draws Fat Freddy's Drop in a rare double billing of the two kiwi acts.
The shows see Shapeshifter teaming up with some of New Zealand's all time indisputable legends, and sharing a stage with the next generation of big names in Aotearoa's thriving music scene.
Other acts to hit the stage throughout the night include Fat Freddy’s Drop, Scribe + P-Money (with the Harmony and Rhythm Brass band), Ladi 6, Katchafire, Lee Mvtthews, Rubi Du.
Tauranga City Council’s Venues and Events Manager Nelita Byrne says they've been working closely with event organisers over a long period to secure Summer Haze and other events.
Nelita says the aim is to continue to grow the city’s reputation as one of the country’s premiere event-friendly destinations, particularly under the new Covid-19 Protection Framework.
“After months of uncertainty, we’re delighted to announce an exciting line-up of events for our community to enjoy this summer.
“One of our core objectives in bringing major events to the city is to showcase Tauranga Moana as a premier event destination and an exciting place to live, work, play and visit, and this impressive line-up will do just that,” says Nelita.
Under the orange light of the Covid-19 Protection Framework for events, event-goers will need to show their vaccine pass, stay home if feeling unwell or have flu-like symptoms, scan their QR code for tracing, and wear a mask where required.
These requirements will help to ensure that the Tauranga community feels safe to enjoy what’s on offer this summer while knowing that precautions are in place to limit the spread of Covid-19.
Nelita says the summer will be a busy one in the BOP, with something for everyone to enjoy.
“Some of the standout events this summer include the Black Caps vs Bangladesh Cricket Test match kicking off on New Year’s Day, the highly anticipated Black Clash and the Mount Festival of Multisport on January 22, and the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup starting March 4.”
Summer Haze will get underway at 2pm.
While there are no official road closures in place, people are warned to expect some traffic delays on Cameron Road, near Wharepai Domain.
Other key events planned for this year include;
- Baypark Speedway, from 18 Dec, Various dates, Trustpower Stadium
- Tauranga Summer Carnival, Boxing Day – 9 Jan, Memorial Park
- Soak and Sounds Sunday, Sundays 26 Dec – 27 Feb, Mount Hot Pools
- Summer Haze, 29 Dec, 2pm, Wharepai Domain, Tauranga
- BLACK CAPS vs Bangladesh Cricket Test, 1 - 5 Jan, Bay Oval
- Netsky & Friends Concert, 3 Jan, 2pm -10:30pm, Wharepai Domain
- Tauranga Fringe Festival, 15 Jan, 10am, The Historic Village
- Black Clash, 22 Jan, 6:30pm, Bay Oval
- Polo in the Bay, 22 Jan, 1 - 7pm, Trustpower Baypark
- Mount Festival of Multisport, 22 Jan, Various times, Mount Maunganui
- One Love Festival, 29 & 30 Jan, 12noon – 11pm, Tauranga Domain
- Classics of the Sky, 30 Jan, 8:30am, Tauranga City Airport
- First We Eat, 5 Feb, 12 noon – 7pm, Wharepai Domain, Tauranga
- NZ National Bridge Congress, 10 - 17 Feb, Baypark
- Oempa South African Festival, 12 Feb, 11am-9pm, Soper Reserve
- Beast of a Feast 2022, 19 Feb, 2pm – 10pm, Soper Reserve, Mount Maunganui
- Tauranga Agricultural and Pastoral Lifestyle Show, 19 Feb, 9am-4pm, Tauranga Race Course
- Holi Colour Splash, 19 Feb, 12 Noon-4pm, Memorial Park
- Armageddon Expo, 26 & 27 Feb, Trustpower Baypark Arena
- Waterbourne Beach Festival, 3 – 6 Mar, Mt Maunganui Main Beach
- ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup, 4 – 18 Mar, Bay Oval
- Gincredible – Bay Of Plenty Gin Festival 2022, 5 Mar, Wharepai Domain
- Salmonella Dub, 5 Mar, Trustpower Baypark Arena
- BENEE, 6 Mar, Trustpower Baypark Arena