Two new Covid cases in BOP
There are two cases of Covid-19 to report in the Western Bay of Plenty today.
Of today’s cases, one is linked to previously reported cases, and one is still being investigated for potential links.
Both are isolating at home, says the Ministry of Health.
"Contacts are being identified and will be contacted for testing and isolation advice."
Nationally, there are 69 new cases in the community.
Of those, 59 are in Auckland, seven are in Waikato, two are in the Bay of Plenty and one is in Taranaki.
To date, there have been 10,289 community cases linked to this outbreak.
Whole genome sequencing has now detected nine further cases of Omicron in international arrivals, taking New Zealand’s total to 22 cases with the variant.
Of the total Omicron cases to date, all remain in managed isolation with the exception of one case who has now recovered and been released as they are no longer infectious, says the Ministry of Health.
"Health and MIQ teams have been carefully planning for Omicron cases at the border and will continue to manage all arrivals cautiously.
"This includes isolation and testing requirements for all new arrivals, robust infection and prevention control and PPE measures at airports and MIQ facilities, and frequent surveillance testing of staff who have any contact with recent international returnees."
Supporting frontline health staff
Vaccinations and rapid antigen testing remain available at many pharmacies around the country.
"We want to reiterate our thanks to pharmacy staff for their part in New Zealand’s defence against Covid-19.
"It’s really important to remember frontline staff right across the health sector are doing the best they can to help in a timely way – please be patient and kind to all staff.
"Remember, if you have Covid-19 symptoms then you should call Healthline for advice about getting a PCR test."
See below for a full breakdown of today's numbers:
Covid-19 vaccine update
• Vaccines administered to date (percentage of eligible people): 3,964,319 first doses (94%); 3,801,569 second doses (90%); 24,652 third primary doses; 215,914 booster doses
• Vaccines administered yesterday: 784 first doses; 3,360 second doses; 94 third primary doses and 2,988 booster doses.
• Māori (percentage of eligible people): 496,493 first doses (87%); 444,227 second doses (78%)
• Pacific Peoples (percentage of eligible people): 269,674 first doses (94%); 253,681 second doses (88%)
Vaccination rates by DHB with active cases (percentage of eligible people)
• Northland DHB: First doses (88%); second doses (83%)
• Auckland Metro DHBs: First doses (96%); second doses (93%)
• Waikato DHB: First doses (93%); second doses (89%)
• Bay of Plenty DHB: First doses (93%); second doses (87%)
• Lakes DHB: First doses (91%); second doses (86%)
• Taranaki DHB: First doses (93%); second doses (88%)
• Nelson-Marlborough DHB: First doses (94%); second doses (90%)
• Canterbury DHB: First doses (98%); second doses (94%)
• Cases in hospital: 62; North Shore: 11; Auckland: 31; Middlemore: 15; Waikato: 2; Tauranga: 3
• Vaccination status of current hospitalisations (Northern Region wards only): Unvaccinated or not eligible (31 cases / 56%); partially immunised
• Average age of current hospitalisations: 52
• Cases in ICU or HDU: 7 (1 in North Shore; 2 in Auckland; 3 in Middlemore, 1 in Waikato)
• Seven day rolling average of community cases: 68
• Number of new community cases: 69
• Number of new cases identified at the border: 2
• Location of new community cases: Auckland (59), Waikato (7), Bay of Plenty (2), Taranaki (1).
• Number of community cases (total): 10,289 (in current community outbreak)
• Cases epidemiologically linked (total): 7,594
• Number of active cases (total): 1,762 (cases identified in the past 21 days and not yet classed as recovered)
• Confirmed cases (total): 13,125
• Number of active contacts being managed (total): 6,693
• Percentage who have received an outbound call from contact tracers (to confirm testing and isolation requirements): 86%
• Percentage who have returned at least one result: 78%
• Number of tests total (last 24 hours): 11,587
• Tests rolling average (last 7 days): 21,812
• Auckland tests total (last 24 hours): 4,810
• No unexpected detections
NZ COVID Tracer
• Poster scans in 24 hours to midday yesterday: 2,996,969
• Manual diary entries in 24 hours to midday: 34,701
My Vaccine Pass
• My vaccine pass downloads total: 4,392,027
• My vaccine pass downloads (last 24 hours): 15,544