Calls for people to support local businesses
The Restaurant Association is once again calling on Kiwis to support their favourite local cafes and restaurants as they open for takeaways.
“Our industry has been one of the hardest hit during the pandemic. Those that are reopening are looking forward to serving their local communities again and need the support of their local community to make the reopening viable,” says Restaurant Association Chief Executive Marisa Bidois.
"Our restaurants and cafes are a much loved part of our communities. We know that diners have their favourite places so for anyone now bored of their own cooking or trying to avoid the supermarkets this is the perfect opportunity to get out and revisit your local eateries.”
“Many establishments have now honed their processes, menus and technology for safe level 3 operations, so getting take out is a very safe and a delicious alternative to home cooking.
“The opportunity to reopen for takeaway offers a tiny glimmer of hope for our businesses to live another day.
“But we can only do this with the support of the NZ public who we are confident will want to see their favourite establishments stay afloat.
“For those businesses not yet open for business, such as those in Auckland or not able to adapt to takeaway, gift voucher sales are also hugely valuable.
The hospitality industry employs 130,000 people across the country meaning thousands of livelihoods are at risk.
“We enjoy a vibrant and diverse dining scene in New Zealand and we want to see that continue so we are calling on Kiwis to continue to support their local establishments,” concluded Bidois.
Kiwis should follow the #TakeOutNZ and head to www.dineouttakeout.co.nz to find out more.
What Kiwis can do:
- Contact your local eatery directly or via their website in the first instance and find out what they have in place
- Check out the Restaurant Association Dine Find Website to see which establishments are operating in your area - www.dinefind.co.nz
- Buy a dining voucher for use at a later date. See if your local establishment is offering any specials on dining vouchers or buy a Restaurant Association voucher for use across thousands of restaurants nationwide.
- Share your experiences online using the #TakeoutNZ to encourage others to do the same.
- For information on this campaign check dineouttakeout.co.nz or the restaurantnz.co.nz.