SunLive         

Over 100 Covid infringement notices issued in BOP

File Image/SunLive.

 

Police have issued over 100 infringement notices for Covid-19 related breaches in the Bay of Plenty.

Police started issuing the notices on Thursday, August 19 and as of 5pm yesterday 111 of them had been handed out in the region.

The majority of these infringements were issued for people undertaking non-essential movement outside their home, says a Police statement. 

The 111 infringements in the Bay of Plenty form part of the 1213 handed out across the nation. 

Canterbury is the worst offending area, with 246 notices handed out. Waikato follows on 148, then Waitematā on 131 before the Bay of Plenty’s 111. 

Of the 1213 infringement notices across New Zealand the breakdown of the offences is as follows. 

  • Person failed to remain at current home / residence – 1110

  • Person failed to wear a face covering on premises – 35

  • Person failed to comply with applicable physical distancing rule – 44

  • Obstruct/Hinder Medical Officer of Health or Person Assisting Med Officer/Failing to Comply with Order (COVID-19) – 11

  • Person failed to wear a face covering on public transport – 2

  • Person in control of premises failed to close as required – 2

  • Person in control of workplace failed to display QR code – 5

  • Person organised a gathering in an outdoor place - 4

Checkpoints in Northland District continue to operate, and a number of vehicles were again turned around yesterday. Police are, however, happy, with the overall level of compliance seen from drivers.

Some of the more creative excuses provided by drivers included the delivery of an off-road vehicle, some rare goose eggs, and puppy food.

Despite this, Police are generally pleased with the level of compliance from New Zealanders under the current lockdown protocols. 

“The vast majority of New Zealanders are complying with the restrictions that are in place and doing the right thing,” says Police Commissioner Andrew Coster. 

“Police continue to be highly visible in our communities and on our roads engaging with people, educating them on the restrictions and taking enforcement action where necessary.

“Reassurance visits to essential services, responding to 105 calls and online notifications, and maintaining a high visibility presence has been an important part of our work over this period. 

“I want to acknowledge all our staff, both out and about in the community and those playing critical support roles, for their huge effort and outstanding commitment to keeping the community safe over the past 10 days.

“I am proud of the way our staff have conducted themselves, and used our education and encouragement-first approach, to ensure the community is safe and feels safe.”

More on SunLive...
3 Comments
You must be logged in to make a comment. Login Now

@Let's get real

Posted on 29-08-2021 17:43 | By morepork

The trouble is that the self-centred people who don’t comply, long ago lost any kind of community pride or respect and wouldn’t care in the slightest of their names were published; in fact, they’d be proud of the notoriety and probably try to outdo each other... A better idea would be stocks, like they used in the Middle Ages where you could go and throw rotten vegetables at them.

Morons should have names published

Posted on 27-08-2021 23:34 | By

To those that behave like a four year old and cause essential service employees to call the police. I hope that you’re really upset and inconvenienced by the trespass orders and $300 dollar fines that you so desperately deserve.

N95 masks with exhalation valves

Posted on 27-08-2021 19:37 | By Jukay

P.S. to my comment above: I made this comment, because some staff members in 2 Omokoroa retail outlets wore these quite dangerous masks.