Evacuation after vehicle crashes into gas main
Some Greerton shops have been evacuated this morning following a gas leak on Cameron Road.
Fire and Emergency New Zealand northern communications shift manager Paul Radden says vehicle impact has caused the gas leak from a supply box to a building.
They were notified of the incident at around 8.30am this morning.
“The gas has been isolated, and cordons are being put in place.” ‘
He says crew are currently checking the surrounding area for gas presence levels.
The surrounding area has been evacuated, he says.
A person at the scene says around 30 customers have been told to wait outside shops while emergency services get to work.
There are two fire engines and one ambulance.