SunLive         

New cases push NZ into resurgence plan

The shift to alert level three for Auckland and level two for the rest of New Zealand is expected to last for about three days.

The move in lockdown status, which will begin from midday, comes following the announcement of four positive cases of COVID-19 outside of managed isolation or quarantine.

After 102 days without community transmission they are the first cases acquired from an unknown source.

New Zealand is now activating a resurgence plan.

Addressing NZ last night, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says we must take a "precautionary" approach as no origin had been found, or link to isolation facilities or people who work at the border.

As a result, Auckland moves to level 3 restrictions from 12 noon tomorrow. The restrictions will last three days until midnight Friday. The rest of New Zealand will move to level 2 at the same time.

"These three days will give us time to assess the situation, gather information, make sure we have wide-spread contact tracing," says Ardern.

Aucklanders are asked to stay home to stop the spread.

"Act as if you have COVID and the people around you have COVID."

Under level 3 in Auckland, people are to work from home unless they are essential workers, and stay in their bubbles.

Bars and restaurants will have to close, and restrictions come in place for funerals and weddings.

"Travelling into Auckland is prohibited unless you normally reside there and are travelling home."

People in Auckland but not from the city can return home, but must be aware of symptoms. Anyone with symptoms is advised to get a test

All key services, including pharmacies and supermarkets remain open. Food delivery is available under level 3. Childcare and schooling is only available for essential workers.

The government would provide the public with an update on Friday.

Ardern says she does not want to "predetermine" what might happen after that.

-RNZ

More on SunLive...
5 Comments
You must be logged in to make a comment. Login Now

@ The Professor

Posted on 12-08-2020 18:51 | By

Agree totally. We need the border closed. People have had more than enough time to get back here. I agree too that Winston Peters gave them plenty of notice and time. SHUT THE BORDERS AND KEEP NZers SAFE.

Absolutely!

Posted on 12-08-2020 13:40 | By

I back Yadick’s comment about getting tough. The softly softly approach has got us nowhere. But also, Bruce B makes a valid comment too - the borders should not have been allowed to stay open for returning Kiwi’s. They were told by Winston Peters before we went into lockdown last time that they should get home as soon as possible. Some of the ex-pats on social media are suggesting that Kiwi’s need to go into isolation when arriving in the UK now.......a bit bloody rich considering the latest cases are most probably linked to a returnee somewhere along the line - whether from an escapee, a nurse moonlighting, an isolation worker.......it can probably be traced back. Close the borders now!!

Knew It

Posted on 12-08-2020 09:59 | By

That explains all the government mumbling last week about a second wave and face masks. Does anyone know how a 2-1/2 day lockdown solves the problem of a virus that takes up to 14 days to incubate?

Here's Hoping

Posted on 12-08-2020 07:52 | By

that the Police enforce and quit so-called educating this time. Time to get real, to get tough.

It was going to happen

Posted on 12-08-2020 07:25 | By

It wasn’t if but when and who is to blame well it has to be the present government as they just had to allow the border to be open the biggest mistake they have made.