SH30 Rotorua works begin this week
Multiple worksites will be in place along State Highway 30/Te Ngae Road, between Sala Street and Iles Road, in Rotorua this week.
Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency says the works are par of the Eastern Corridor Stage One project.
Delays are expected as a result of these works and may be significant at times.
"Where possible, the most disruptive work will be done at night to reduce the impact on motorists, while other work will require traffic management during the day," says an NZTA spokesperson.
"Waka Kotahi reminds motorists to plan for delays, allow additional time for their journeys and take extra care when travelling through work sites to ensure the safety of themselves, other road users and road workers."
A temporary speed limit of 30km/h will be in place at the above work sites while contractors are on site – excluding the shoulder closures at Neil Hunt Park and the Redwoods.
Outside of work hours the roads will operate as normal.
"Pedestrians and cyclists will be able to walk or cycle around all worksites. Where required, staff can assist pedestrians past the site safely."
The work sites will be in the following places:
- State Highway 30, Hamiora Place to Vaughan Road – eastbound traffic on SH30 between Hamiora Place and Vaughan Road will be down to one lane from Sunday 12 July to Friday 17 July, outside peak hours of 7am-9am and 3pm-7pm.
During peak hours both lanes will be operating with a shoulder closure in place. Contractors will be creating a service trench in the road shoulder/footpath – starting at the Hamiora Place and moving towards Vaughan Road.
- State Highway 30, Sala Street – eastbound traffic on SH30 may experience delays as work to relocate drainage services continues. Traffic may need to be reduced to one lane in this area as work takes place between 9am and 3pm, Monday to Friday.
- State Highway 30, Allen Mills Road – Allen Mills Road will be closed at the intersection of Te Ngae Road from 7pm to 5am on Monday 13 July and Tuesday 14 July. Access to Allen Mills Road will be via Vaughan Road. Contractors will be completing a stormwater crossing across Allen Mills Road, which requires it to be closed while work is undertaken.
- State Highway 30, Neil Hunt Park – a shoulder closure will be in place on SH30 outside Neil Hunt Park from Monday to Friday, between 7.30am and 5pm, while retaining wall works are completed.
- State Highway 30, Redwoods – minor delays are expected from Monday to Friday, between 7.30am and 5pm, while earthworks and watermain works take place outside the Redwoods Park area (between Dixon Road and Puarenga Stream).
"In the event of bad weather or other unforeseen circumstances, work may be postponed.
"Waka Kotahi thanks motorists for their patience."
Plan ahead for a safe, enjoyable journey. Keep up to date with:
- Traffic updates: journeys.nzta.govt.nz/traffic
- Facebook: facebook.com/NZTAWaikatoBoP
- Twitter: twitter.com/NZTAwaibop
- Journey planner: journeys.nzta.govt.nz
- Phone: 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49)