One new case of COVID-19 in managed isolation

Health Minister Chris Hipkins.

Health Minister Chris Hipkins says the country's latest case of COVID-19 visited an Auckland supermarket last night.

Hipkins says the man left his managed isolation last night to go to the Countdown supermarket on Victoria Street in central Auckland.

He says after CCTV footage was viewed and the man was interviewed, the current assessment of the risk to the public was low.

"The person wore a mask although indicated that was removed for short periods of time."

The Countdown remained closed today in order to be cleaned thoroughly.

"The person wore a mask, although, indicated that was removed for short periods of time."

Hipkins says all COVID-19 facilities are on standby and people needing a test would have no problems getting one.

Individuals within these facilities need to "play by the rules", he says.

"These are acts of selfishness and we intend to use the full weight of the law.

"My understanding is he left through a smoking area where the fences were being replaced."

Air Commodore Digby Webb says the smoking policy - as well as the security policy - will be looked at.

He says there is a robust system in place "however, as we've seen, we can always do better".

Webb says there is a guard outside Stamford Plaza when the man left.

The security guard watched the man leave but wasn't sure if the man leaving was a contractor, says Webb.

Air Commodore Darryn Webb, head of Managed Isolation and Quarantine, says the man will be charged.

"Around 6.50pm, the man escaped through a fenced area at the Stamford Plaza when he was out smoking, as a section of external fencing was being replaced. Security attempted to follow the man but were unsuccessful in locating him.

"Police were called immediately, and enquiries were underway to locate the man including reviewing CCTV footage and undertaking substantial area searches, before he returned to the facility where he was then interviewed by police."

The man walked to the supermarket on foot and purchased items at a self-service checkout, before returning to the hotel about 8pm.

"Once the man's movements were established, police visited the supermarket and ensured the self-service checkout and the areas entered by the man were cleaned.

"CCTV footage from within the supermarket has confirmed there was no close contact between the man and any staff or customers during his time there."

Police are looking at other CCTV footage to figuree the man's movements in the Auckland CBD.

"The actions of this man are completely unacceptable. Returnees are given clear instructions and information about what their responsibilities are. Managed isolation is a critical part in our defence against COVID-19, and it is up to each and every person entering this country to play their part.

"We take any breach of the COVIDd-19 rules very seriously. Wilfully leaving our facilities will not be tolerated, and the appropriate action will be taken."

The fencing in place at all managed isolation facilities is being replaced with 6 feet-high fences.

"Our security framework is currently being assessed to determine what improvements may need to be made, and security requirements are being re-emphasised at all facilities.

"We are also reviewing the arrangements in place for smokers, and security in smoking areas."

The man, who is a New Zealand citizen and arrived from New Delhi on 3 July, will be summonsed to appear in court at a later date charged under the Covid-19 Public Health Response Act.

Yesterday, 2131 tests were completed.


More on SunLive...
1 Comment
You must be logged in to make a comment. Login Now

Lock him up

Posted on 08-07-2020 18:13 | By

and then, when he’s done with that, deport him. We don’t need morons like this in this country.