SunLive         

LIVE: Two new cases of COVID-19 in NZ today

There are two new cases of COVID-19 in New Zealand today, both people have returned from overseas and are in managed isolation.

One is a man in his 50s who arrived in New Zealand from India on June 24 and tested positive at the day three mandatory test.

The second is a women in her 20s who arrived from the United States on June 18, she is the wife of a previous case and was already in quarantine facilities because she is considered a close contact.

Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield say there are still no cases reported from the community.

 Ashley says the continued spread of the virus overseas is highlighted by a report from the World Health Organisation, "which noted a record number of cases over the preceding 24 hours, over 189,000 cases recorded, and you'll be aware also that the number of cases worldwide has now exceeded 10 million."

One person remains in Auckland City hospital, they are in a stable conditions, he says.

The total number of confirmed cases in New Zealand is 1178.

Yesterday 2574 test were carried out this includes both community and managed isolation tests. The total number of tests done so far is 395,510.

There are still 367 people the Ministry of Health is trying to contact who left managed isolation facilities between 9 and 16 June. The ministry is asking those people to please call the health line on 09 302 0408.

The NZ COVID Tracer app has also now recorded 584,000 registrations.

Ashley encourages people to not only download the app but use it and scan the QR codes at premises.

EARLIER: The Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield will provide a COVID-19 update this afternoon.

He will be live from 1pm. 

What we know so far: 

Yesterday there were four new cases of COVID-19 at the border, bringing the active number of cases to 20. 

A statement issued by the Ministry of Health said all four cases involve people who have recently returned from overseas and were in managed isolation facilities. 

"There continue to be no cases in the community." 

The first new case is a woman in her 30s who arrived in New Zealand from India on June 14. The  Ministry of Health says she is the wife of a previous case who earlier tested positive and had been isolating separately from her husband since his positive test. She tested positive on day 11 of isolation.

The second case is a man in his 30s who arrived from Nepal via Sydney on June 18 on flight NZ102 and had been staying at the Novotel Ellerslie. He tested positive on day three and three close family contacts who have been travelling with him have also been tested, with two negative results and a third pending.

The third new case is a man in his 30s who was in isolation at the Grand Millennium hotel, whose result was picked up in day 3 testing.

The fourth case is a man in his 30s who was isolating at the Haka Hotel in Auckland since June 24 after arriving on AI1316. He was taken by ambulance to Auckland City Hospital last night after showing symptoms and was then tested.

The Ministry said in a statement he was still in hospital in a stable condition on a ward and has not required intensive care.

The total number of confirmed Covid-19 cases in New Zealand is 1176.

-Additional reporting RNZ 

More on SunLive...
0 Comments
You must be logged in to make a comment. Login Now
There are no comments on this article.