SunLive         

Second day of zero COVID-19 cases

Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield.

UPDATE: Today is the second day in a row the Ministry of Health is reporting no new cases of COVID-19.

Yesterday, the Director-General of Health, Dr Ashley Bloomfield, reported zero new cases.

The news is the same today.

He says one probable case has been reclassified as no longer being a case.

As a result of this, the total number of confirmed and probable cases decreases by one. The new total is now 1486.

Ashley says the total number of confrmed cases is still at 1137. "This is the number of cases reported to the World Health Organisation."

There are also no additional deaths to report.

Around 88 per cent of the cases are now classified as recovered. That's a total of 1302 of recovered cases.

"These numbers are very encouraging and we all should be pleased with our efforts, I know I am," says Ashley.

"We must stick to the game plan."

EARLIER:

Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield will be joined by Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern for today's All of Government COVID-19 National Response update.

The pair will be live from Wellington from 1pm.

SunLive will be providing updates from the press conference throughout the afternoon.

What we know so far

There were no new cases of COVID-19 to report on Monday.

Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield says one probable case already known to the Ministry of Health has been reclassified as confirmed following a positive test.  

This means there is no change to the overall total of confirmed and probable cases which remains at 1487. 

There were no additional deaths to report. 

New Zealand’s total number of confirmed cases rises by 1 and is now 1137.  This is the number we report to the World Health Organization and in many instances this is the number reported publicly by other countries. 

There were 2473 tests completed on Sunday, with a combined total to date of 152,696. 

Of our cases, 1276 are reported as recovered – an increase of 10 on Sunday. 86 per cent of all confirmed and probable cases are now considered as recovered. 

There are four people in hospital, none in ICU. 

There are still 16 significant clusters.  Three of these clusters are now considered closed as there is no longer transmission of the virus associated with the cluster.  

"These are encouraging figures," says Ashley.

"But today (Monday) is one moment in time. The real test will come later this week as we factor in the incubation period of this virus.  

"That’s when we will able to consider any new cases which might emerge in the community as a result of the step from Level 4 to Level 3. 

"We can’t afford to squander all the hard work and effort of the past weeks. 

"We saw at the weekend that it can be easy to start slackening off. We need to maintain discipline, continue pushing on and sustain the advantage we have fought so hard for."

More on SunLive...
0 Comments
You must be logged in to make a comment. Login Now
There are no comments on this article.