No new confirmed cases of COVID-19 today
UPDATE: There are no new confirmed cases of COVID-19 to report today.
Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield says these numbers are encourgaing, but warns this is only one point in time.
He says one probable case already known to them has now been reclassified as a confirmed case.
This brings the total number of confirmed cases to 1137. However, the total number of confirmed and probable cases remains at 1487, no change on yesterday.
Ashley says there are no additional deaths to report today.
A total of 1276 people have recovered from the virus.
"This is 10 more than yesterday and accounts for 86 per cent of our total cases.
"Seven people remain in hospital. None are in ICU
"There are still 16 significant clusters. Three of which have now been closed."
Ashley says while these numbers are encouraging, they still need to wait to see what they numbers will do towards the end of the week.
He says the icubation period of the virus is around five days, so towards the end of the week will be the telling point of if there are any transmissions during alert level 3.
"We are wanting to be sure there is no new cases out in the community. Reflecting on the icubation of this virus, it is towards the end of the week where we will see if there are any new cases."
He says until they know for certain, it is important New Zealand remains in alert level 3 for the full two weeks.
Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield is expected to be live from Wellington at 1pm.
He will be delivering the latest update from the All of Government COVID-19 National Response.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is expected to be delivering her post cabinet update at 4pm today.
SunLive will be bringing updates from both conferences this afternoon.
What we know so far
On Sunday, there were six new cases of COVID-19, made up of two new confirmed cases and four probable cases.
The Ministry of Health says five of the cases can be traced to a known source and one case is still being investigated.
Sadly, the death of a resident of the Rosewood Rest Home who was transferred to Burwood Hospital was reported on Sunday.
The Ministry of Health says George Hollings was in his 80s.
"His family have asked us to share his name and some information about him," says the MOH.
“George had a lot of friends who the family don’t have contact details for and they’d like for them to have the opportunity to grieve along with his family.
“His family tell us that George will be remembered as a real Kiwi bloke, a rough diamond, who loved his deer stalking.”
His family also say the staff who cared for George did an exemplary job.
“We can’t speak highly enough of the care Dad received. You’ve clearly chosen the best, most compassionate staff to work at Burwood."
George was considered to be a probable case of COVID-19, and he also had underlying health conditions.
He passed away early Sunday morning.
“Every person we lose to COVID-19 is a tragedy, with a family and friends left without their loved one. Our thoughts are with George’s family today and in the coming days. There have now been 20 deaths from COVID-19 in New Zealand.”
The total of confirmed and probable cases is 1485 and New Zealand’s total number of confirmed cases is 1134.
There were 5691 tests completed on Saturday, with a combined total to date of 145,589.
Of New Zealand’s cases, 1263 are reported as recovered – an increase of 11 on Saturday.
This means 85 per cent of all confirmed and probable cases have now recovered.
There are five people in hospital, with none in ICU.
There are still 16 significant clusters, but three clusters are now considered closed as there is no longer transmission of the virus associated with the cluster.
A COVID-19 cluster is considered to be closed after a total of 28 consecutive days – or two incubation periods for the virus – since its most recent report date of a reported case, says the MOH.
The ministry is reporting the three closed clusters are the Wellington wedding cluster, closed on April 25 and the two clusters linked with group travel to the United States – one in Wellington and the other in Auckland that have been closed on Sunday.