SunLive         

LIVE: Tauranga case remains under investigation

Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield.

UPDATE: One confirmed case in Tauranga remains under investigation, says Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield.

He says this is the only case reported back in April where health officials are still investigating the source of the infection.

"This is a confirmed case in Tauranga and a possible link is still being investigated."

Today, there is one confirmed case of COVID-19 in the past 24 hours and four new probable cases.

Ashley is also reporting an additonal death, bringing the total death toll of COVID-19 related deaths to 19.

A woman in her 90s died in Waitakere Hospital yesterday.

Ashley says the woman is the third person to have die from the St Margarets Resthome cluster.

"She had a number of underlying health issues."

To date, a total of 1180 people have recovered from COVID-19. Thirty more than yesterday.

"This is 80 per cent of our cases who have recovered."

Ashley says the total number of confirmed and probable cases of the virus in New Zealand is now at 1469.

He says of this, 1122 are confirmed cases. This is the number reported to the WBO and used to compare with other countries.

A total of seven people remain in hospital, with one person in ICU. This remains unchanged from yesterday.

There are still 16 significant clusters.

EARLIER:

Many New Zealanders are preparing to head back to work tomorrow as the country moves out of Alert Level 4 at 11.59 tonight.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield will be updating us on the All of Government COVID-19 National Response at 1pm.

SunLive will be providing updates throughout the afternoon.

What we know so far

On Sunday, there were nine new cases of COVID-19 to report, made up of four new confirmed cases and five new probable cases.

There were 5966 tests completed on Saturday, with a combined total to date of 120,981.

Of the new cases reported on Sunday, four are linked to existing clusters, and five are linked to known confirmed cases.

Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield says although it’s encouraging to have another day of single digit cases, vigilance remains crucial.

"As we prepare to move to Alert Level 3 on Tuesday morning, it’s really important not to slacken off the effort.

"Even though all these new cases are linked to existing community-based cases or clusters, or are a result of overseas travel, nine cases highlights the need for everybody to maintain a high level of vigilance in Level 4 and as we move to Level 3."

The combined total of confirmed and probable cases in New Zealand is 1470, with 1142 reported as recovered – an increase of 24 on yesterday. A total of 78 per cent of all confirmed and probable cases are now recovered.

There are seven people in hospital, unchanged from Saturday. This total includes one person in the ICU in Middlemore.

There are still 16 significant clusters, and again this is no change from yesterday.

A reminder that people should not delay seeking care for any health needs either through phoning Healthline 0800 611 116 or through their GP.

And, as usual, if it is an emergency then dial 111 and ask for the ambulance service or go to your nearest hospital emergency department.

More on SunLive...
0 Comments
You must be logged in to make a comment. Login Now
There are no comments on this article.