SunLive         

LIVE: COVID-19 death roll rises to 11

Director of Public Health Dr Caroline McElnay.

UPDATE: Two further deaths connected to COVID-19 have been reported today.

This brings the total number of COVID-19 deaths in New Zealand to 11.

Director of Public Health Dr Caroline McElnay says a man in his 90s died in Waikato Hospital yesterday and woman in her 80s died in Burwood Hospital.

"The Waikato man had been living at home and was admitted to Waikato Hospital. He has links to the Matamata cluster."

Carloine says the woman's death brings the total number of deaths linked to the Rosewood Home cluster to seven.

She says five people remain in a stable condition, but they are frail.

Today, there are eight new cases of COVID-19 in New Zealand. This is made up of two new confirmed cases and six probable cases.

The total number of cases is now at 1409.

Fourteen people are in hospital, three are in ICU. Two of those in ICU are in a critical condition.

The total number of recovered cases is now at 816, 46 more than yesterday.

EARLIER

Finance Minister Grant Roberston will be joining Director of Public Health Dr Caroline McElnay in updating New Zealand on the All of Government COVID-19 National Response.

The pair will be live from Wellington at 1pm.

Watch the livestream above to see what they have to say.

What we know so far

The number of recovered cases of COVID-19 continues to dominate the number of new cases.

On Thursday, Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield announced another 15 new cases of COVID-19 in New Zealand. This is made up of six confirmed cases and nine probable cases.

Ashley says there were now 770 people who have recovered from the virus. This is an increase of 42 from Wednesday.

There had been no additional deaths. The death toll was at nine.

Twelve people are in hospital. Two people are in critical condition.

Three people are in ICU - one in Dunedin, one in Middlemore and one in North Shore hospitals.

Yesterday, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced what restrictions would be in place at Alert Level 3.

She says just because she has made the announcement, does not mean New Zealand is moving into Alert Level 3 yet.

That decision is expected to be made on Monday, April 20.

More on SunLive...
0 Comments
You must be logged in to make a comment. Login Now
There are no comments on this article.