SunLive         

LIVE: 103 people recover from COVID-19

Director-General of Health Ashley Bloomfield.

UPDATE: A total of 103 people have recovered from COVID-19 in New Zealand to date.

Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield is delivering the latest update on the coronavirus pandemic.

He says people are considered to have recovered from the virus if they have not had any symptoms for 48 hours or more.

Ashley says there are 49 new confirmed cases and 22 probable cases.

This is a total of 71 new and confirmed cases for today.

Ashley says this brings the total number of cases of COVID-19 in NZ to 868,

"There are 13 people in hospital. One person is in ICU. They are all stable."

To date, 29485 lab tests have been carried out.

Ashley says they now have the capacity to test 5400 a day.

There is still strong links to overseas travel.

He says 49 per cent of cases are linked to overseas travel and 39 per cent have confirmed links to positive cases.

Community transmission is still at one per cent, but Ashley believes this will increase as they continue to investigate the remaining cases.

The number of clusters has risen to 10. Ashley says the biggest clusters are in Marist School, with 59 cases; Bluff, with 53; and Matamata, with 49 people.

EARLIER:

The All of Government COVID-19 National Response will provide an update at 1pm today.

Speakers:

  •   •  Sarah Stuart-Black, Director of Civil Defence Emergency Management – update on Covid-19 national response

  •   •  Dr Ashley Bloomfield, Director-General of Health – health update

What we know so far

As of Thursday afternoon, there are 89 new cases of COVID-19 in New Zealand. This is made up of 76 new confirmed cases and 13 probable cases.

Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield delivered the latest COVID-19 update yesterday.

He says there are 92 recovered cases.

"Thirteen people are in hospital. Two are in ICU and all are in a stable condition."

There are no additional deaths.

Ashley says they are continuing to see strong links to overseas travel.

He says 51 per cent of the cases are linked to overseas travel, 31 per cent have close links to overseas travel and one per cent is believed to be from community transmission.

"Around 17 per cent of the cases are still being investigated but we expect many of these to be community transmission.'

Ashley has also identified the district health board areas where the majority of cases have been reported.

These are:

Southern District Health Board

Waikato

Auckland

Waitemata

More on SunLive...
1 Comment
You must be logged in to make a comment. Login Now

Still no quarantine at the border.

Posted on 03-04-2020 17:13 | By Tga Citizen

Over half the cases are related to overseas travel, yet we still do not do the minimum protection at the border. Even taking the temperature of everyone arriving would be a start, more effective would be testing everyone when they arrive. We could be in lockdown for 3 weeks, allow someone infected in who feels fine, goes shopping because there is nothing in the pantry, infects others, and 2 weeks later we start the process again.