Full closure of Wairoa River Bridge postponed
Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency advises the planned closure of Wairoa River Bridge on State Highway 2 this Friday, February 14, has been postponed to later this month.
This Friday, instead of a full closure, one lane of the bridge will be closed from 7.30pm – 1am to allow Western Bay of Plenty District Council contractors to prepare the bridge deck for the first full closure.
During this time Stop/Go traffic management will be in place and the bridge will be open to all traffic, including overweight and over-dimension vehicles.
The first full closure is now planned for overnight on Monday 24 February from 10.30pm to 5.30am.
During the full closure the following local road detour will be in place:
- Northbound motorists from Tauranga will need to take the signposted detour from SH2 in Bethlehem via Moffat Road and Cambridge Road, onto SH29 before connecting with Poripori Road, onto Crawford Road through to Wairoa Road and then back onto SH2.
- Southbound motorists will need to take Wairoa Road before connecting with Crawford Road, through to Poripori Road and then onto SH29.
The detour route is not suitable for High Productivity Motor Vehicles (HPMV’s greater than 50Max), over-dimension and overweight vehicles.
The Transport Agency says completing the closures at night helps ensure the least amount of traffic is impacted.
The February 24 closure is one of seven planned closures required to allow Council to install sections of the cycleway extension on the Wairoa River Bridge.
The remaining closure dates will be released as they are confirmed with Council’s contractor.
The Transport Agency and Council thank motorists for their patience.
Plan ahead for a safe, enjoyable journey this summer. Keep up to date with:
- Traffic updates: nzta.govt.nz/traffic
• Facebook: facebook.com/NZTAWaikatoBoP
• Twitter: twitter.com/NZTAwaibop
• Journey planner: journeys.nzta.govt.nz
Phone: 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49)