Chance of thunderstorms around the North Island
Storm and gale warnings have been issued for marine areas around the North Island this morning.
MetService says winds could reach gale force on both the east and west coasts, and in the Hauraki Gulf, before easing around midday.
There are strong wind watches for Wellington and southern Wairarapa, and also for Marlborough and the Canterbury high country.
• Kaitaia (20), Whangarei (22), Auckland (20): Morning thundery rain, then fine. About 20C
• Hamilton (20): Rain this morning, chance thunderstorms, then fine.
• Tauranga (21), Whakatāne (21) and Rotorua (19): Rain with chance of thunderstorms, clearing this afternoon.
• Gisborne (23): Patchy rain.
• Napier (25) and Hastings (25): Some morning rain, then fine.
• Taupō (18): Morning rain, possibly heavy, then fine.
• Taumarunui (19): Some rain or showers, chance thunderstorms.
• New Plymouth (18): Shower or two, frequent and squally this evening.
• Whanganui (20) and Palmerston North (19): Morning rain
• Levin (18) and Kāpiti (17): Morning rain, then chance shower. Squally thunderstorms possible this evening.
• Masterton (19): Some morning rain, then fine.
• Wellington (16): Morning rain. A few evening showers with possible squally thunderstorms.
• Blenheim (20) and Nelson (18): Becoming fine.
• Westport (16), Greymouth (15) and Hokitika (15): Showers, frequent from afternoon. Chance thunderstorm.
• Kaikōura (21): Becoming fine.
• Christchurch (18), Ashburton (18), Timaru (17) and Oamaru (15): Becoming fine morning. Showers developing afternoon, with possible thunderstorms.
• Wanaka (16): May be showers from afternoon.
• Queenstown (16), Alexandra (18) and Dunedin (16): A few showers from afternoon,could be thundery
• Invercargill (15): A few showers from afternoon