Homes evacuated after gas leak

Firefighters working to contain a gas leak at The Mount. Photos: Sam Gardner.

Homes in the Mount Maunganui area have been evaucated following a gas leak this afternoon.

Nothern Fire Communications shift manager Scott Osmond says firefighters have been called to a gas leak at Wells Court.

He says homes in the area have been evacuated as a precaution.

It’s understood contractors working in the area have stuck a gas main, causing it to rupture.

Firefighters are at the scene and contractors have been called to fix the main.

A reporter at the scene says there is a strong smell of gas in the air.

She says it’s so strong, it is giving her a headache.

"The gas contractor is here assessing everything and there are two fire trucks out."

More on SunLive...
You must be logged in to make a comment. Login Now
There are no comments on this article.