Looking for lazy land

The next tranche of special housing applications have to be in by November 24. Photo: Supplied.

Got some land lying about, not doing much - then has Tauranga city council got an offer for you.

The council is calling for landowners or developers with plans for a piece of land to talk first to the city council planning and growth team about Special Housing Areas.

Tauranga City Council now considers new SHAs in batches about every six months. The call for the second round of applications for 2017, closes out at the end of October with the applications expected to be brought to Council for a decision in March 2018.

Two new SHAs were recommended by the city council in the first round this year that will provide capacity for about 400 new dwellings in the coming few years.

Tauranga developers and landowners can continue to approach Council with requests to consider new Special Housing Areas With the new Housing Accord signed last year.

Establishing SHAs helps increase the supply of housing in rapidly-growing cities says Sam Hurley at Tauranga City Planning & Growth. Resource consenting processes in SHAs are fast-tracked for houses to be built quicker.

“In Tauranga SHAs are a good way to provide more immediate development capacity while we continue to plan for new, larger-scale urban growth areas on the outskirts of the city and work on intensification in existing urban areas,” says Sam.

How this works:

  1.   •  A landowner identifies a piece of land suitable for residential development: either greenfield – undeveloped as yet – or brownfield with existing houses or commercial / industrial properties on it but with potential for redevelopment into housing;

  2.   •  The landowner determines what type of housing the land could accommodate and shapes a high level development concept. You can consider a range of residential housing typologies (suburban residential, terraced housing, apartments etc.);

  3.   •  The landowner assesses how soon development could happen, contacts us with this information and we talk it through together.

Council doesn’t need a detailed development plan to consider approving a SHA. The finer detail of developments are determined through the subsequent resource consenting process.

However, SHAs need to be established in areas where there is already suitable infrastructure in place (e.g. roads, wastewater systems, water supply pipes) or plans for it to be built.

Applications for Special Housing Areas will need to be submitted by Friday 24 November, and will be publicly notified at the end of January 2018.

For more information on Special Housing Areas click here.

More on SunLive...
You must be logged in to make a comment. Login Now


Posted on 30-09-2017 09:35 | By Papamoaner

Misadventure has a point this time. The Walter Nash Labour Government made a mistake of building state houses in clumps of hundreds, sometimes thousands, creating ghettos that over a few decades became socio economic depressed places riddled with crime, and gangs of kids with nothing to do.

OH, I have a quarter acre in the middle of the Mount.

Posted on 29-09-2017 20:37 | By The Caveman

My house is in the MIDDLE of the section. The council has allowed ALL the adjacent properties to build 2/3 level monsters, covering basically all of their quarter acre plots. I like my little house and my large vegie garden with all my COMPOST etc. Seems that the adjacent pot owners don’t like me growing vegies, that I give away to less fortunate Mount residents. COMPOST SMELLS they say! I don’t like the all night noise from their swimming pool and BBQ parties !!!!


Posted on 29-09-2017 16:16 | By NZer

Bob Clarkson has land available for subdivision.... Oh and he has already tried approaching the council and they wasted his time.....

Oh Gosh

Posted on 29-09-2017 15:51 | By MISS ADVENTURE

Everyones dreams a Getto over the back fence, jsut what everyone wants?