Homes evacuated after gas leak
Homes in the Mount Maunganui area have been evaucated following a gas leak this afternoon.
Nothern Fire Communications shift manager Scott Osmond says firefighters have been called to a gas leak at Wells Court.
He says homes in the area have been evacuated as a precaution.
It’s understood contractors working in the area have stuck a gas main, causing it to rupture.
Firefighters are at the scene and contractors have been called to fix the main.
A reporter at the scene says there is a strong smell of gas in the air.
She says it’s so strong, it is giving her a headache.
"The gas contractor is here assessing everything and there are two fire trucks out."