SunLive         

NYE celebrations result in fire at Mount

Posted at 5:07pm Thursday 04 Jan, 2018 | By By Sam Gardner Author


Initial information from police suggested a group of people had lit a fire amongst scrub near the beach and run away, however one nearby resident says the fire was accidental. File photo.

A fire initially believed to be arson, which set alight scrub near Ocean Beach Road on New Year's Eve, is believed to be the result of fireworks gone wrong.

A police media spokesperson says police and firefighters were called out to the incident at around 5.35pm.

Initial information from police suggested a group of people had lit a fire amongst scrub near the beach and run away, however, one nearby resident says the fire was accidental.

“An Auckland man staying in a holiday home on Omanu Beach Road had let off fireworks resulting in the dunes being caught fire.  

“Members of the local community came to his aid to help in extinguishing the fire.”

He says an assault also occurred during this time.

“Whilst everyone was busy with the fire, one local man and a friend of the Auckland holiday maker began arguing which resulted in one man being assaulted.

“The fire was extinguished before fire services arrived.”

A police media spokesperson confirmed no arrests have been made in relation to the incident.

You may also like...


Critically injured man dumped at ED
Road repair focused on ‘priority sites’
Holiday traffic building on SH1 and SH2
Weather and flooding pics
What's On: Night Owl Cinema
Devin the Olympic blue eyed penguin

COMMENTS


There are no comments on this article.


Post a Comment

You must be logged in to make a comment.